Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Tuesday of the first week of Lent

Today I saw ice bells! This is the first photo from the "Lent project" that has an obvious name. I guess ice is the theme of this first part of Lent...at least it's something GOOD about this cold late-winter weather.

It was a relatively frustrating day at work and of course I hadn't done anything about a photo. I thought of a place to stop and relax in the last light of the day - Warrenville Grove Forest Preserve, along the DuPage River. There were lots of nice ice formations, and THEN I saw the bells. Cool!

This project is certainly giving me the opportunity to see many beautiful things that I wouldn't have taken the time or trouble to seek out, between work and weather.

2 comments:

  1. How are these formed? They're beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered how these are formed too! The river water has a lot of sediment in it, I think, which would cause the color. We had very heavy rains late last week, followed by very cold temperatures, so I'm guessing some of these formations are the result of the water receding in the cold. But the bells are still a mystery to me.

    ReplyDelete