Saturday, March 7, 2009

Saturday of the first week of Lent

Today is NOT much of a day for photography - first we had thunderstorms interspersed with weak sunshine, then it just became dark and rainy. I went out in drizzle to bring in the mail before it got COMPLETELY dark, camera in my pocket. Today is the first day I've actually deleted all the other photos I took (few though they were) - this one is heavily cropped. HOWEVER, this one is significant: this not-terribly-attractive flower is the first flower of spring (at least in our yard). Not the crocus, but the vernal witch hazel.

At least, despite the weather, there is another sign today of the new life to come.

I always wonder what it's like to observe Lent and particularly Easter in the Southern Hemisphere, where it is fall instead of spring. It helps me to have nature reinforce the spiritual seasons!

No comments:

Post a Comment