Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ash Wednesday


After meeting with my spiritual directory the Monday before Ash Wednesday and jointly coming up with the idea of photographing my way through Lent this year, I was excited when I woke up on Wednesday morning. I had ideas of photographing something at church, appropriate to the day. I was ready early and thought I would go to church and pray before Mass. As I passed through downtown Batavia, I decided to spend a few minutes walking along the river before going to church. I soon discovered that the trees and branches in the water were adorned with dangling bits of ice. The photo above captures it the best.

I returned to the same spot for another walk (exercise is good too!) late in the afternoon. It had been about 50 degrees for much of the day and the ice was gone.

I felt as though I was given the gift of seeing this beauty to start Ash Wednesday, by listening to the little nudge to go and walk before Mass. (And, yes, I did get to church in time to pray Morning Prayer before Mass started...)

No comments:

Post a Comment